Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"The Silicon Valley of Pot"

To comment on this editorial wirtten by Jill Mangham from the blog Read My Lips. She talked about the legalization of Marijuana in the state of California. She appeared to be against the legalization of marijuana due to the ill effect it has on our society. Yes I agree that the negative effect will be more on our growing youth, but that is a far cry, because marijuana is sold at every street corner in this country, government's effort to stop illegal use of marijuana is not making any impact on the users.


Anyone who's been on a college campus or to a Phish Concert can tell you that Marijuana is readily available to just about anyone who wants to seek it out. From this fact, it means that the infrastructure for the illegal cultivation and sale of marijuana is already firmly in place. So, in my opinion, I would say that if legallizing Marijuana in California will help boost their dying budget,by taxing the producers and sellers which will yeild huge revenue for the government, it is worth a try.

I had this experience sometime in 2007, here in Austin, I was getting gas in a gas station, when some guy walked up to me and asked if I wanted "Weed", I was lost with the question, because I had no idea of what he was talking about, I've never smoked a cigaret before in my life, so when I asked him what he meant by "Weed", he walked a way causing me behind his breath. When I got home, I narrated the incident to my husband, he told me that the guy meant Marijuana. My point being that we should keep the moral aspect aside, Marijuana is out there any time of the day and night, it also comes to you even when you did not solicit for it.

So if legalizing it will become a major source of tax revenue and jobs, I suggest that California State government should go for it, because it will only make a difference in their budget by increasing it, rather than in the number or age of people taking Marijuana, it is already out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment